Nursing Home Abuse Lawyers in NEW YORK
What is nursing home abuse law?
Nursing home abuse law deals with the standards for the treatment of elderly people by staff at a nursing home, retirement center, convalescence home, or any facility responsible for the care of the elderly. These laws make it possible for a resident or the family of a resident to sue a care facility for any physical or psychological damage caused by any of the staff or administration at the facility.
A nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK can advise you and guide you through the process of suing an elder care facility.
What does nursing home abuse look like?
Some signs of nursing home abuse are very obvious, others are more subtle. Contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK if you experience or see any of these signs and suspect elder abuse.
• Physical injuries: bruises, broken bones, unexplained sores, or frequent trips to the doctor
• Emotional injuries: fear, anxiety, withdrawal from social groups, refusal to see visitors, fearful reactions to certain people or types of people
• Sexual abuse: STDs, bruising, urinary tract infections, injury or bleeding in the area
• Neglect: unattended wounds, bed sores, dehydration, malnutrition, disorientation, confusion, unbathed or unwashed
• Financial abuse: missing money—cash or bank accounts, unexplained withdrawals or purchases, sudden changes in frequent visitors or living situations
These are only some of the signs of nursing home abuse. Trust your gut; if you or your family suspect any type of neglect or abuse, contact a nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK for help with this very distressing situation.
How can a nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK help?
A nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK can help families and victims receive financial compensation for their pain and suffering. These lawyers can make the legal proceedings less stressful for families who are already in distress, especially if the families don’t have experience navigating the world of lawsuits.
Some of the things a nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK will do are gather information, file the case, do the discovery and research, represent you in the trial, and negotiate the settlement.
Questions to ask a nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK
You want to hire the best lawyer for your case. Here are some questions to ask before hiring a nursing home lawyer in NEW YORK.
How much experience do you have with this type of case?
Nursing home abuse law is complex and can be very complicated, so you want an experienced nursing home abuse lawyer in NEW YORK. And, of course, you will want to hire an attorney with more wins than losses.
What is your payment process?
Many nursing home abuse attorneys will work on a contingency basis. This means that they will only be paid if they win the case; they will charge a percentage of your settlement or payment.